Forums

Forum Home > Current Discussions > 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers Thread

golarisman

So, as it stands we are 5th in our group with one win and three losses (see the full table here)

In my opinion, it is very unlikely that we are going to qualify for the cup now. We should not have lost against Saudi Arabia or Japan. Unfortunately Saudi Arabia have improved since we played them and now they are 7 points ahead of us already, we missed our chance to beat them when they were weak. Against Japan we should have got a draw and maybe even a win considering neither of their goals should have counted. If the referee and linesmen had performed up to standards, we would have got something out of that game.

However on the bright side I do see positives with these qualifiers. Just a few months ago we couldn't even beat Thailand or Vietnam and struggled to beat Chinese Taipei and would not have done so without Younis dragging us through. Now, we are thrashing Thailand and holding our own against teams like Japan and Saudi. With more time, I hope Radhi can build a stronger squad. But, I simply don't understand why players like Yaser Kasim and Ali Husni are not called up for our team when they are two of our best players.

What are your opinions on the qualifiers so far guys?

October 18, 2016 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao

Unfortunately we have bottled these qualifiers once again. I agree we should have beaten Saudi and drawn with Japan, which would have left us in a good position to qualify.

We have seen this all before. We bottled the last World cup qualifiers and we have bottled it again. We always outperform Iran, Saudi etc at the Asian Cup but they make the world cup and we never do. We are probably one of the top 4 best performing teams at the Asian cup over the last decade. The other three are Japan, Korea and Australia who make it to every world cup.

We need to address our bottling mentality if we want to ever play at the World cup.

--

Radhi out

October 18, 2016 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao

I must add that referees greatly hinder our chances of qualifying and the bias is very clear, but we still bottle regardless.

--

Radhi out

October 18, 2016 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman

Yes we do seem to bottle every single time unfortunately. I don't think Iraq will ever reach the World Cup in my lifetime if things continue in the same way. We can always hope for Asian Cup success though, and hopefully a few WAFF Cups or Gulf Cups if those tournaments get brought back.

October 30, 2016 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

golarisman at October 30, 2016 at 5:34 PM

Yes we do seem to bottle every single time unfortunately. I don't think Iraq will ever reach the World Cup in my lifetime if things continue in the same way. We can always hope for Asian Cup success though, and hopefully a few WAFF Cups or Gulf Cups if those tournaments get brought back.

I believe hoping fo WAFF and Gulf Cups is the mentality of a fan who doesn't believe in the Iraqi team. Although they have underperformed, the future is looking bright with the youth sides winning the Asian Cup. You don't trust in Iraq which is dissapointing to see

November 4, 2016 at 1:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao
Well hoping for gulf and waff is basically the same as hoping for afc cups against India which some Iraqi fans are happy with. So if you take that you should treasure gulf and waff titles too.
--

Radhi out

November 6, 2016 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman

WAFF and Gulf Cups are good to win because they add to our trophy cabinet, but not only that, they give our players more confidence and belief in themselves for the qualifiers and Asian Cup. All Iraqi fans should care about such tournaments and support the team not just dismiss them as small trophies.

November 6, 2016 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao
Yes I agree Golarisman but unfortunately there are a lot of non true fans out there who just turn up with their teams colours for big finals etc and don't follow the team through thick and thin. Waff and gulf don't appease their glory hunting greed. I personally would love to see us finally win either as we have come so close many times
--

Radhi out

November 6, 2016 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

hashao at November 6, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Yes I agree Golarisman but unfortunately there are a lot of non true fans out there who just turn up with their teams colours for big finals etc and don't follow the team through thick and thin. Waff and gulf don't appease their glory hunting greed. I personally would love to see us finally win either as we have come so close many times

You are right in saying there are unloyal fans. Some fans don't even know the manager and the players! That really is quite shameful

November 12, 2016 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao
Well I don't mind those people as long as they are always supporting the badge or flag with all their heart. They are certainly not die hards as we would like and aren't part of the Ultras, but I much prefer those fans to the abandoners who are nowhere to be seen until the real fans get the team to a final. The abandoners must be eradicated. Their nationality should be questioned
--

Radhi out

November 12, 2016 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

hashao at November 12, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Well I don't mind those people as long as they are always supporting the badge or flag with all their heart. They are certainly not die hards as we would like and aren't part of the Ultras, but I much prefer those fans to the abandoners who are nowhere to be seen until the real fans get the team to a final. The abandoners must be eradicated. Their nationality should be questioned

For me, people who claim to be fans without any basic knowledge should be eradicated. They act like they are true fans without even knowing the players they "support"

November 12, 2016 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao
I think that's nothing compared to abandoners. Very silly to compare the two Hani. One of them is waking up at 3am to watch Iraq in the Olympics. The other is snoring until they hear the news they made the quarter finals.
--

Radhi out

November 12, 2016 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.