Forums

Forum Home > Current Discussions > 2016 AFC Cup Final

golarisman

Jawiya have reached the AFC Cup final and have got extremely lucky as they will play an Indian team called Bengaluru FC which has no one has heard of. I think Jawiya are massive favourites to join Shorta as the only existing Iraqi teams to have won a major continental competiiton. Hammadi has scored in every single match he played in this tournament so far - do you think he will score again? My prediction: 2-0 to Jawiya.

October 29, 2016 at 5:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao

Yes they will definitely win but we must remember that this tournament is full of Indian cricket teams and there is a total ban on Kuwait teams, so if jawiya win it doesn't signal any improvement in Iraqi football at all unlike when Al Shorta won those two continental titles. 

Nevertheless, I'm sure the dedicated jawiya fans will have enjoyed seeing their team play throughout each round of this tournament to reach the final. 

--

Radhi out

October 30, 2016 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman

Yeah true. Jawiya actually lost one of their group stage games 5-2. The dedicated Jawiya fans were probably quite worried after watching that match. But then as Jawiya got better throughout the tournament, the fans who were following every result probably started getting their confidence up and their dream of getting to the final came true. The Jawiya fans certainly would have enjoyed all 11 games so far in this tournament and this final should be a nice reward for those fans who followed the team through victory and defeat. The final should be the icing on the cake of a long, successful journey that involved many different games.

October 30, 2016 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman

Also, the AFC really is dumb sometimes. They separated the West Asian teams from the East Asian teams all the way until the final this year, unlike the previous years where the West and East teams got mixed in the quarter finals. That's why this Indian team is in the final. Also, the final is actually hosted by one of the teams. They did a draw to see which team would host the final and Jawiya won so they are hosting it. Of course Jawiya can't play in Iraq so they play in Qatar so it's still a neutral venue. But if Bengaluru won the draw, the final would have been hosted in Bengaluru's stadium giving them a huge advantage. What a dumb rule.

October 31, 2016 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

If Jawiya are to win the AFC Cup, it would be the greatest achievement by any existing Iraqi club. Winning an AFC trophy has never been done by and Iraqi club, only Al Shurta who won the Arab Club Cup in a 2 leg final with both games played at their home ground which isn't a good achievement have won a trophy outside of Iraq. CMON AIR FORCE.:D

November 4, 2016 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao

I think you forget Shorta in the 1971 afc champions league. Unless you love Israel of course.

--

Radhi out

November 6, 2016 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman

Jawiya won the cup with a 1-0 win over the Indian club. I think both teams were poor in the final. Jawiya fans will be very thankful that the new rules let them play an Indian team in the final and no Kuwaiti teams in the tournament!

In my opinion, winning the AFC Cup is nice but not really something we should be proud of. We should be winning this cup every year really. When you look at the teams in the cup, only Kuwaiti teams are better than Iraqi teams, and now that Kuwaiti teams are banned, we should be walking this cup. It's a low-level cup created to give small teams a chance to play in an AFC tournament, that's why it was set up and no AFC Champions League countries are allowed in the tournament. Naft Wasat should have done much better seeing as they were knocked out by a poor Syrian club. I expect Iraqi clubs to win the cup every year if Kuwaiti teams are still banned.

We need to have our clubs in the AFC Champions League. That's the real biggest tournament in Asia. Unfortunately our clubs like Zawraa and Jawiya don't pass the requirements. That's why I consider Shorta in 1971 to be the best Iraqi club achievement. They reached the final of the biggest cup in Asia and would have won it if they played it. That's a more impressive achievement than AFC Cup these days.

November 6, 2016 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao
Yes what they did to ensure Israel were removed from afc was incredible and they made the final of the afc champions league which is a bigger achievement than winning 20 of these India cups. Truly incredible and as you say they would have won on the pitch but it was far more important to win off the pitch. Truly the single most prideful moment from any Iraqi club from both sporting and moral standpoints. We salute you Al Shorta class of '71
--

Radhi out

November 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman

hashao at November 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM

Yes what they did to ensure Israel were removed from afc was incredible and they made the final of the afc champions league which is a bigger achievement than winning 20 of these India cups. Truly incredible and as you say they would have won on the pitch but it was far more important to win off the pitch. Truly the single most prideful moment from any Iraqi club from both sporting and moral standpoints. We salute you Al Shorta class of '71

Yes I completely agree with you. In my opinion, even Al-Shorta being one goal away from reaching the AFC Champions League semi-finals in 1999/2000 season is a better achievement than Jawiya winning AFC Cup. For context, in 1999/2000, Shorta reached the quarterfinals of AFC Champions League and it was played in a group stage. Shorta had one of the hardest groups with two true giants of Asian football, Al-Hilal and Persepolis (compare that to Bengaluru FC). Shorta would have gone through to the semi finals if Al-Hilal beat Persepolis in the last match but it ended 0-0.

That is in my opinion a better achievement already than Jawiya's. Let alone reaching the final in 1971 and withdrawing, or Al-Rasheed winning the Arab Champions League three years in a row. These are the real achievements that we should be striving for in Iraqi football, not the AFC Cup which is a low-level cup for small teams that no one aside from fans of the participating clubs watches or takes notice of.

November 7, 2016 at 11:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

golarisman at November 7, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Yes I completely agree with you. In my opinion, even Al-Shorta being one goal away from reaching the AFC Champions League semi-finals in 1999/2000 season is a better achievement than Jawiya winning AFC Cup. For context, in 1999/2000, Shorta reached the quarterfinals of AFC Champions League and it was played in a group stage. Shorta had one of the hardest groups with two true giants of Asian football, Al-Hilal and Persepolis (compare that to Bengaluru FC). Shorta would have gone through to the semi finals if Al-Hilal beat Persepolis in the last match but it ended 0-0.

That is in my opinion a better achievement already than Jawiya's. Let alone reaching the final in 1971 and withdrawing, or Al-Rasheed winning the Arab Champions League three years in a row. These are the real achievements that we should be striving for in Iraqi football, not the AFC Cup which is a low-level cup for small teams that no one aside from fans of the participating clubs watches or takes notice of.

I disagree. Winning an AFC trophy has never been done before this golden generation of Jawiya players. Instead of criticising their heroics you should be proud a fellow Iraqi club has finally succeeded in Asia. Well done and congratulations Al Quwa Al Jawiya, Baghdads oldest team.

November 12, 2016 at 3:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao

Hani at November 12, 2016 at 3:31 PM

I disagree. Winning an AFC trophy has never been done before this golden generation of Jawiya players. Instead of criticising their heroics you should be proud a fellow Iraqi club has finally succeeded in Asia. Well done and congratulations Al Quwa Al Jawiya, Baghdads oldest team.

It wasn't done because this is the first year its been split to separate Indian type teams from good teams until the end and this is the first year with no Kuwaiti teams who usually win. I'm not going to get deluded about the state of our country's football because one of our teams won after all these circumstances were in place. If we could produce another team like Al Shorta 71 who are the best in the whole of Asia or a national team like 2007 then I would be proud and excited.
--

Radhi out

November 12, 2016 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

hashao at November 12, 2016 at 3:35 PM

It wasn't done because this is the first year its been split to separate Indian type teams from good teams until the end and this is the first year with no Kuwaiti teams who usually win. I'm not going to get deluded about the state of our country's football because one of our teams won after all these circumstances were in place. If we could produce another team like Al Shorta 71 who are the best in the whole of Asia or a national team like 2007 then I would be proud and excited.

I'd rather this Jawiya team because they actually won two trophies, the Iraqi FA Cup which Al Shorta have never done and an AFC trophy, the AFC cup which no other Iraqi team has ever done. That Shorta team may have won leagues in the previous years but in Asia, although they did the morally correct thing, that wins you no trophies whereas Jawiya did.

November 12, 2016 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman
Agreed, hashao. The AFC cup simply isn't a great achievement and without Kuwaiti teams we should be walking this cup every season like I said before. Instead of focusing on small cups, Iraq FA should do their best to get our clubs back into the AFC Champions League, the biggest tournament in Asia for the real big countries. That's where Iraq should be aiming to be.
November 12, 2016 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

golarisman at November 12, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Agreed, hashao. The AFC cup simply isn't a great achievement and without Kuwaiti teams we should be walking this cup every season like I said before. Instead of focusing on small cups, Iraq FA should do their best to get our clubs back into the AFC Champions League, the biggest tournament in Asia for the real big countries. That's where Iraq should be aiming to be.

Jawiya couldn't pass the requirements so winning this was th best achievement and they delivered for Iraq

November 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman

Hani at November 12, 2016 at 3:40 PM

hashao at November 12, 2016 at 3:35 PM

I'd rather this Jawiya team because they actually won two trophies, the Iraqi FA Cup which Al Shorta have never done and an AFC trophy, the AFC cup which no other Iraqi team has ever done. That Shorta team may have won leagues in the previous years but in Asia, although they did the morally correct thing, that wins you no trophies whereas Jawiya did.

"That wins you no trophies" I think that's a disrespectful thing to say. Shorta sacrificed the trophy in order to do the morally correct thing. They considered their morals to be more important than the trophy. That in itself is more admirable than taking the trophy. And seeing as Israel got kicked out of AFC from it, they are the true Champions of Asia in 1971 and all Iraqi fans should be proud of what they did not bash them for not winning the trophy.
November 12, 2016 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hashao
Yes Hani but what's that got to do with this being a big achievement in the context of Iraqi football being huge again. You don't see Indian fans going mad about their nation when they won the afc challenge cup/solidarity cup. It's meaningless. We need to reach the top of Asian football again where we once belonged. Well only Al shorta once belonged there. But you get my point.
--

Radhi out

November 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman

Hani at November 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Jawiya couldn't pass the requirements so winning this was th best achievement and they delivered for Iraq

In that case, Jawiya are to blame. They should try and sort out their club so that they pass the requirements instead of their fans just accepting their AFC cup place. Looks like their fans don't want a real challenge and just want to accept small achievements and not help Iraqi football progress which is sad to see.
November 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

golarisman at November 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Hani at November 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM

In that case, Jawiya are to blame. They should try and sort out their club so that they pass the requirements instead of their fans just accepting their AFC cup place. Looks like their fans don't want a real challenge and just want to accept small achievements and not help Iraqi football progress which is sad to see.

They have brought Iraq their first AFC trophy. Only a jealous fan of another club wouldn't regard as progress

November 12, 2016 at 3:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

golarisman
We discussed this already. It's not progress because the Kuwaiti teams were banned and they would have won it otherwise.
November 12, 2016 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hani

hashao at November 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Yes Hani but what's that got to do with this being a big achievement in the context of Iraqi football being huge again. You don't see Indian fans going mad about their nation when they won the afc challenge cup/solidarity cup. It's meaningless. We need to reach the top of Asian football again where we once belonged. Well only Al shorta once belonged there. But you get my point.

Al Shorta don't belong there because they have 0 AFC trophies, yes 0. Just like the rest of Iraq, apart from Jawiya (Baghdads oldest team). Winning an AFC cup is a step towards Iraq getting back to the very top

November 12, 2016 at 3:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.